Tuesday 3 February 2015

Week 4: Impression of the first few weeks

Having just finished CSC108 a month ago, my transition to CSC148 seemed easier because the materials learned in 108 were still fresh in my mind. In CSC148,  the instructor picks right off from where we finished and introduces us to concepts beyond just loops, if statements and Docstrings. We are finally shown the true applications of programming; to write code that can help simplify everyday tasks. I had been waiting for this moment because having come from a java background, I had experience with writing client code and creating games with graphics. I still remember the excitement of our class when the instructor first drew a turtle on the screen with just a lines of code. It seems that the truly fun (and hard) part of programming is finally starting to unfold.


After having perfected our basics in CSC108, CSC148 puts together all that we learned and forces us to think outside the box. Recursion, for instance, is another way to write code efficiently and reduce the run time of a program. Although I had learned recursion before in java, after listening to the instructors explanation and tracing it, I now see recursion in a new light. Before this, I strongly disliked having to write code in recursive methods because it seemed so complicated to think about where to start and what the base statement should be. But now, I think I am finally beginning to understand the thought process one should go through to write recursive methods. So far, my first few weeks in CSC148 seem to be just about building upon the ideas I have learnt before and applying them to write some simple but time consuming code. The real hard part will start after our first term test- writing code in recursion.


No comments:

Post a Comment